Sunday 6 June 2010

Long time....no blog

Well, it's been months since I've been on my blog, just never seemed to find the time, so here I am again. I have so many things going on in my life......good things, like crafting, gardening walking the dog, cake making and then there's work.........oh! yeah, that thing that gets in the way of life.
I'm going to start adding recipes to my blog, mainly vegetarian recipes but sometimes the odd meat or fish recipe and definitely cakes and desserts so if you're interested just check out my blog from time to time.
I visited New York a couple of months ago and the brunches there are fantastic, you can't beat the Americans at brunch so I thought I'd start off with a recipe for the delicious Brioche French Toast that I tried.

Serves 4-6

6 large eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 cups milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1 Loaf of day old brioche
1/4 cup clarified butter
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
Icing sugar
Syrup for serving
Fruit for serving

Method

1.Whisk together the eggs, milk and caster sugar add the cinnamon and nutmeg,
2.Slice the brioche loaf and layer in a shallow baking dish, pour the egg mixture over the bread and leave to soak for about 3 minutes. Turn the bread over and leave to soak on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
3.Preheat the oven to about 80c (to keep the french toast warm)
4.Cook the toast in batches. Heat up a large frying pan and add some of the clarified butter and over a medium heat fry the soaked brioche until golden brown and crisp on both sides.Add some of the unsalted butter during cooking as this adds a nice nutty flavour and helps brown the toast.
Repeat until all the brioche and egg mixture is used.
5.Serve warm dusted with icing sugar, syrup (maple is best) and fruit of your choice, I love to serve with fresh blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.

Enjoy!

No comments: